From the late 19th Century onwards, the area around Snell’s Park and Joyce Avenue was developed into a street network of terraced housing and became established as a residential area. In 1872, the train line that now borders the estate to the west was built creating a link to Liverpool Street station and central London. From 1900 Fore Street became established as a shopping destination. The front gardens of residences were built over by shops known as ‘bungalow fronts’. By the 1930s almost all the open land in the area apart from the public parks and cemeteries had been built on and Upper Edmonton was established as a residential suburb.
Following the Second World War, there was a severe housing shortage. Edmonton Borough Council identified a large number of dwellings in the borough as ‘unfit for habitation’. In 1951 the Town Planning Committee then made the decision to redevelop the area including the streets of 19th Century terraces around Snell’s Park and Joyce Avenue. Demolition began in 1954 to prepare the ground for new housing.
Early in 1955 the Housing and Building Committee approved plans for 24 one bed flats for older people in two storey blocks similar to those at Galliard Road and the Borough Architect was asked to design a block of shops with business premises over for a site at the junction of Fore Street and Bridport Road. Four of the blocks for the main development were to be of the same design as one prepared by the Borough Architect for the Fore Street redevelopment. Construction was underway by 1956 and would be completed by 1966 at Snell’s Park and 1967 at Joyce Avenue. In the years since there has been little change but for the addition of small blocks of flats and short terraces of houses in the open spaces between buildings.